Financial Q&As

Making payments
Payment arrangements
Outstanding payments
Payment penalties

Making payments

Can I pay my fines using a credit card or debit card?

Most Criminal Code fines or traffic fines can be paid by credit or debit card at registry offices that provide those options or at any courthouse in the Province of Alberta. You can also pay traffic fines online by credit or debit card.

You cannot pay Criminal Code fines over the internet at this time. Bail forfeiture debts can only be paid at an Alberta courthouse.

If you are mailing in your payment, it must be by cheque or money order made payable to: Government of Alberta. Please be sure to include the ticket number or docket number with your payment.

I was imprisoned and I thought my fines were taken care of at the same time?

Your fines are not automatically taken care of if you were imprisoned. To do so you would need to request to have your fines waived depending on the type of fine and the court jurisdiction. Please contact the sentence administrator at the correctional facility where you were incarcerated for further information.

If I pay by cheque, who do I make it payable to?

Please make cheques payable to the Government of Alberta.

What if I have a cheque returned for insufficient funds?

If you have a cheque returned, it is likely that your financial institution will charge you a fee for having insufficient funds in your account (also known as an NSF fee). You will need to immediately make a payment to cover the returned cheque. Payment will be required in the form of certified funds, as will all future payments until such time as the debt is paid in full. You should contact your collections officer to make appropriate arrangements.

Where can I pay my fines?

That will vary on the type of fine or penalty.

Learn more about Criminal Code fines

Contact Resolution and Court Administration Services (RCAS) if you have questions or concerns about your fines.

Bail forfeitures can only be paid at the Court of Queen's Bench. Please see the Alberta Courts website for a listing of the Court of Queen's Bench locations in Alberta.

Payment arrangements

Can I make installment payments on my fines / tickets?

That can only be determined by calling the Fines Enforcement Program and discussing your personal financial situation with a collection officer. Installment payments are often permitted, but any restrictions of registry services will remain in effect until all overdue fines and forfeitures are paid in full.

Can I make other arrangements so you don’t garnishee my wages?

If your wages have already been garnisheed, the funds will be applied to your overdue fines. You will need to call us to make other arrangements before we will consider removing the garnishee.

Depending on your employer, you may also be able to commence a wage assignment, which is a way to make regular instalment payments against your fines. If you are interested in this option, call your collections officer to discuss.

Outstanding payments

How can I find out what past due fines / tickets have been registered with the Fines Enforcement Program?

You can contact the Fines Enforcement Program and speak to one of the collection officers to obtain that information.

Payment penalties

Can you take my Child Tax Benefit?

We do not take any child or family tax benefits to satisfy overdue fines. We may only intercept income tax refunds and GST rebates.

Why are you garnisheeing my wages and / or bank account?

Wage / bank account garnishees are issued when no satisfactory payment arrangements have been made. It is done when Fines Enforcement has been unable to gain the cooperation of the debtor.

Why are you taking my income tax refund or GST rebate?

It is our responsibility to ensure that overdue fines are paid as quickly as possible. In order to do that, we have made arrangements with the Canada Revenue Agency to redirect the income tax refunds and GST rebates of individuals who do not pay their fines owed to Alberta.

You’ve taken my income tax refund / GST rebate. When will I have my registry services reinstated?

It may take up to 60 days for the funds to be transferred from the Canada Revenue Agency to the Alberta Government and applied against your account. If the only restriction you have is with this program, and if the funds are sufficient to satisfy all of your overdue fines, your services will be reinstated once the payment is received.

Note: If you have other outstanding debts with the Alberta Government, such as child support arrears, you may not be able to access motor vehicle registry services even though you no longer have any overdue fines with this program.