Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program

All drivers in Alberta are required to have insurance in case they cause an accident. There are a few who do not, and they usually do not have the money to pay for the personal injuries they have caused. Sometimes the guilty driver flees the scene of the accident, and the injured victim does not know who to sue.

Topics in this section

About MVAC
Insurance and legal information.

Injured party
Answers to common questions for injured party.

Uninsured drivers
Answers to common questions for uninsured drivers.

Glossary of terms
Terms and definitions used by MVAC.

Motor Vehicle Accident Recoveries
Information for uninsured at-fault drivers.

Medical Claims
Answers to common questions and medical claims form.

Equifax cybersecurity breach

We have been advised Equifax Inc. was the victim of a cybersecurity breach, where unauthorized access was gained to US and some Canadian customer personal information from May through July 2017. Please visit for more information.

The Maintenance Enforcement Program, Claims and Recoveries, and the Office of the Public Trustee utilize Equifax, but the databases used by these programs were not accessed.

As a precaution you may wish to contact your bank and any credit card companies and carefully monitor all accounts for unusual transactions.  You can find more information about identity theft on this Service Alberta tip sheet (PDF).

The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims booklet has been updated for 2016.  Copies of the Alberta Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program Brochure may be ordered at $10.00 per copy from Alberta Queen’s Printer either online at or by phone by dialing 780-427-4952 (toll free in Alberta by first dialing 310-0000) from outside Alberta long distance charges apply.  The booklet information will also be available on the MVAC website link at

The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act governs these types of motor vehicle accidents through two different programs, MVAC and MVAR, and serves both the victims who have been injured, and the liable drivers who owe MVAC a debt. 

MVAC: Protects the victims of uninsured or hit and run accidents by ensuring they have a way to make a claim against the uninsured motorist and receive payment for their personal bodily injuries.

MVAR: Collects debts from the uninsured drivers responsible for the bodily injuries suffered by any victim(s) of their motor vehicle accident. These debts are equal to the amount of money paid out by the program to victims. 

Medical Claims: Assists those catastrophically injured in motor vehicle accidents, by providing funding for medical rehabilitation when no other form of insurance exists, other than life insurance, or when insurance funding has been exhausted.

Section 17 of the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act also governs funding for individuals who are injured in a motor vehicle accident where no other contract of insurance exists. These funds are approved for payment by the Medical Claims program.

Common Questions
Related Sites